SPARK Resilience – Skills for Life edition, for 10 – 12 year-olds
SPARK Resilience is a school based social emotional learning programme for 10 - 12 year olds at the end of primary school or beginning of secondary school.
The programme draws on mindfulness, positive psychology and cognitive behavioural therapy to give children skills to boost their strengths, control strong emotions and reframe habitual ways of thinking.
Adapted from the original version by Prof Ilona Boniwell and Lucy Ryan (2009), SPARK Resilience uses imaginary parrots to represent the messages we give ourselves, such as the Judge, the Worrier and the Enthusiast. Children learn how to challenge the parrots’ unhelpful messages and reframe their thoughts, whilst building a ‘resilience portfolio’ of character strengths and sources of support in their lives.
Evaluation of the original programme found it was effective in boosting resilience and preventing depression.
Online training to teach SPARK Resilience:
Part 1 - Tuesday 28th June 15:30 - 17:30
Part 2 - Tuesday 5th July 15:30 - 17:30 (4 CPD hours)
£70 per person
Teaching material - available after training course completed:
- Physical + Digital Resources - £190
Includes: Teacher's manual, 30 pupil workbooks and 30 certificates
- Digital Resources only - £130
- Additional materials – 30 pupil workbooks - £45
- Read about the evidence base for SPARK Resilience here
- Share the SPARK Resilience programme Parents' Information Leaflet (PDF) here
- Sign-up for the SPARK Resilience programme – Taster session and Q&A
- See a sample lesson plan